Home Adaptations

Adaptations to your home may help you or someone you know to maintain an independent lifestyle. 

An adaptation is work carried out to the home of a disabled child or adult to:

  • remove or overcome obstacles which prevent them making full use of their home
  • to improve  access to their home

The following section provides information on the services available in Anglesey to support home adaptations. 

What types of adaptations are available?

There are two types of adaptations: major and minor.

Examples of major adaptations:

  • Widening doors
  • Wheelchair thresholds
  • Installation of ramps
  • Improving lighting
  • Improving access to rooms
  • Converting bathrooms or adding a downstairs bathing facility
  • Installing a stair lift / through floor lift
  • Improving or installing a specialist heating system
  • Lowering height of kitchen units or sockets
  • Providing access to a garden or outside space

Major adaptations may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant. The grant is means tested and you must be the owner occupier or a private tenant (with the owner’s permission).  If you are a Housing Association tenant you should contact your landlord in the first instance.  Grant may cover the cost of a major adaptation in part or whole. Applicants may be eligible for a grant if they have a permanent and substantial physical difficulty. A full assessment of your home will be undertaken to determine your eligibility and what works need to be done. You must apply for this grant before you start any work. 

For further information contact the Council’s Social Services Department.  

Minor adaptations

Examples of minor adaptations:

  • Grab rails
  • External rails
  • Stair rails
  • Threshold ramps
  • Pathways and steps
  • Door entry systems
  • Some electrical works
  • Some plumbing works

If the work you require costs less than £500 it is classed as a minor adaptation. Minor works do not require a lengthy assessment process but they do need to be supported by a health or social care professional (occupational therapist, social worker, community nurse, physiotherapist or GP) who will make an application on your behalf through the Council.

Minor adaptations may be carried out by another agency on behalf of the Council.

If you are able to fund adaptation work yourself, you may wish to contact Anglesey Care & Repair 

Who are Care and Repair Anglesey?

Care and Repair Anglesey help people over 60 years old or disabled people of any age to stay in their own home with increased comfort, warmth and security. This is done by either arranging repairs or adaptations to be carried out to homes or advising on such works. 

Care and Repair is independent and does not charge for services. 


Isle of Anglesey County Council

Council Offices
LL77 7TW
Tel: 01248 752752
Emergency out of hours tel: 01248 353551
Email: asdss@anglesey.gov.uk

Anglesey Care & Repair

33 - 35 Y Stryd Fawr
Ynys Môn
LL77 7NA 
Tel: 01248 750625 
Fax: 01248 750358 
E-mail: gathmon@taieryri.co.uk