Housing Options - Council and Housing Association Accommodation

Council and Housing Association

Isle of Anglesey County Council  administers a Common Housing Register on behalf of the Ynys Mon Housing Partnership which includes the Council, Cymdeithas Tai Eryri, Clwyd Alyn Housing Association and North Wales Housing Association.

To be considered for Council or Housing Association accommodation you must be on the Housing Register.  

There are approximately 3800 Council properties and 800 Housing Association properties on the Island which are rented to households classified as being in housing need. The area information  tells you where Council properties are located across the Island in terms of numbers, type and size. There is also a brief description of each town or village.

Sheltered Accommodation

Sheltered housing schemes are not care homes or residential homes. They provide purpose built, self- contained flats and bungalows which are only let to people who are 60+ and/or registered disabled (eligibility criteria may vary amongst the Housing Association providers) .

The accommodation is easy to manage with adaptations where necessary to allow easy access and mobility. All properties have Community Alarms (Galw Gofal) which provides an emergency  response  24 hours per day, 365 days per year. Some schemes have communal facilities such as lounges, laundry rooms and gardens.. 

Some schemes have a resident warden. Others have a mobile warden service.

It allows you to live independently but with the reassurance that, if there is a problem, help is at hand.

I am on the Housing Register - how long will I have to wait?

Most people waiting for housing will never be offered a property because the number of people on the Register is much higher than the number of properties we have available to let each year.  It is very difficult to estimate how long it may take you to be offered a property as it will depend on your circumstance, your points, the type of property you need and the areas you are asking for.

Once your application has been processed, you will be notified of the points you have been awarded based on the information you have provided on your form. The letter will also advise you of the points score of the applicant who was allocated the last property in your preferred area of choice.  This will help you make an informed decision as to whether you can afford to wait for an allocation or whether your circumstances necessitate exploring all housing options available to you.

Would I be entitled to any help with the rent?

If you are on a low income, you may qualify for Housing Benefit to help with rent and service charges (where applicable). Alternatively you may wish to contact the Housing Benefit Team .

What other housing options should I consider?

Private Rented Accommodation

Low Cost Home Ownership Schemes

I am an existing Council/Housing Association tenant wanting to move to alternative social housing on Anglesey.  What should I do?

You could apply for a transfer by completing a Housing Register application form

You could apply for a Mutual Exchange. ‘Homeswapper’ is a national website which helps tenants to find a suitable exchange on Anglesey or elsewhere.


I need adapted accommodation. What should I do?

You need to complete a Housing Register application form and a Special Needs Housing Questionnaire.Your application will be assessed by the Housing Link Panel which comprises Housing Officers and Occupational Therapists. We will try to match a property to your needs. 

Useful Links

Housing Options Team,
Housing Services,
Isle of Anglesey County Council,
Council Offices,
LL77 7TW

 01248 751850/752168/751849

email: housing@anglesey.gov.uk

Open: 8.45am - 5.05pm - Monday to Thursday,
8.45am - 5.00pm - Friday 

Clwyd Alyn Housing Association

Cymdeithas Tai Eryri

North Wales Housing